We recently took a trip to South Dakota. One of those "Bucket List" trips that I never thought we'd get around to, but decided on a whim to make happen. I am so glad we did. The memories. The sites. The time together. This mom will cherish it forever! First stop - The Corn Palace
Although a quick stop, and one that we were told is somewhat a waste of time - we stopped and enjoyed. This year the theme was sports and I thoroughly enjoyed looking at all the images made from corn. We spent the rest of the day on the road. Man...is South Dakota a wide state. Lots of driving. Miles and miles of driving. We stayed at a quaint little place called Mountain View and have no complaints. It's not at all what we had imagined based off the website, but were quite pleased. While out west, we started the trip with a drive through Custer. Wow - am I glad this made it on to our itinerary. Make the time. Drive the loop. Get out of the car and enjoy nature! As we came out of Custer, we were able to gaze upon our next stop, which was Mt. Rushmore. We stayed for the night lighting and it was really quite amazing. Spend some time here, learning all there is to learn. Walk the path up closer to the faces. Let the kids do the Jr. Ranger program. Heck - you might learn something yourself! The next day we did something called the Alpine Slide. Holy fun people! I wasn't thrilled with the ride up, I hate heights and honestly wanted to cry the whole way up. BUT...the view up top is AMAZING. And the ride down - as fun as you'll have it be. The whole family took the ride down, some did it twice, and one did it three times!! After this, we hit Bear Country. Again - a nice drive and some quality time in the car. Great photo ops!!! Then off to Crazy Horse. Wow...just wow!! Go there, and really think about when this monument will be complete. Again - the night lazer show - totally worth the stay!!! One the was out of the Black Hills, we decided to walk Deadwood. You know - for a mostly free experience, it was worth the time and fun bits of history. Be sure to head out to the cemetery...the view at the look out is well worth the walk! Our next destination was Wall Drug. No my favorite stop - but so much to see and kinda do. The kids enjoyed the break from the car and of course there were more photo ops for the camera carrying mom. The Badlands - that's what I was looking forward to.... I could have spent endless days here. The views were amazing. The rocks were amazing. The views were amazing. The climbing was fun. The views were amazing. The wildlife was close at hand. The views were amazing. I think you get the picture though. These guys were everywhere - and truly a blast to watch!! We stayed at a place called Circle View Ranch - and I could not give it enough stars if I tried. The people were friendly. The place was a amazing. It's kid friendly. The food was great. Just can't say enough about the place! So...Overall our South Dakota trip was worth every gallon of gas and every dime spent. I will reflect on it fondly for years and am glad I got to experience it with my kids. A family vacation that gets two thumbs up from this mom.Tuesday, September 18, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)










0 comments:
Post a Comment